I was recently given a Native Instruments Audio2 DJ interface, this is a great little card with working Linux drivers that works well with MIXXX using a variation of the .asoundrc available on the MIXXX site and other locations.
But either my version of the card, or the Linux driver has changed, as my card identifies differently so the config files available elsewhere don’t work with my OS (Xubuntu 14.04 with kernel 4.2.0-18-lowlatency).
Here is a simple script I run after starting up mixxx in a separate terminal as root, i.e.
sudo bash mixxx-max-perf.sh
TLDR: If you can’t get multichannel USB audio working with CrossDJ on Android 6+, editing the /system/etc/audio_policy.conf file might help, if your device is rooted, and you don’t care about your warranty.
read on for how to do it, if you are comfortable with Linux shell commands and throwing your warranty to the wind. This is an updated version of a post I made to the Mixvibes support forum that they got a bit nervous about and locked…
I’m just documenting this here for reference, and perhaps others find this useful.
- MIXXX is my preferred DJ software, it works well with the Numark Mixtrack Pro interface
- One reason to go the digital DJ route is to maximise sound quality, this means FLAC files where possible, CD rips or purchased as wav from beatport, bleep.com or bandcamp.. and 320k mp3 when FLAC files are simply not available..
- But I found the MIXXX 2.0 series (or earlier) had issues decoding some valid flac files purchased from bandcamp.com, causing sound to abruptly cut out, while MIXXX appears to continue playing
- after discussing with the incredibly helpful MIXXX developers they pointed me to the MIXXX 2.1 alpha source code available on github, which uses a new audio decoding engine.
- This fixed all my issues and has proven to be very stable. The effects I have found not that great, but I don’t use them much, sticking to relatively straight forward mixing.
So here are the steps….
After working out some specs, Richard from Australian Technical Production Services (ATPS) made up a more suitable drop-in replacement power supply module for the SH-101 T1 transformer. Now I can run on the original wall wart and batteries again! The PSU fits snug, SH-101 sounds great (same as before) and it’s also very reasonably priced! 🙂
More pics here.
Found a broken Roland SH-101 on Gumtree. Couldn’t believe my luck!
I was hoping for a simple fix, maybe a dodgy power switch or something. When I started to investigate it soon became apparent that someone had been there before me. The T1 transformer, which does DC-DC conversion from the 9VDC plug pack to the various analogue stages was missing! Also, the surrounding components had been lifted out of there solder pads. This wasn’t going to be a quick fix!
Searching around the net and it was becoming obvious that this problem was fairly common but with no one having fixed it! Also, the T1 transformer is not available for purchase anywhere. Continue reading
Recently bought a Mackie Onyx 1620 off of Ebay “for repair or parts only”. It’s been keeping me occupied!
Advertised as having the “Mackie Helicopter” problem, I knew I was in for some PSU recapping. It wasn’t in too bad shape though, 3 caps and it was working again. Continue reading
In Minirig HQ the Numark Mixtrack Pro has become the go to digital DJ interface.
Not strictly related to the speakers themselves, but as the miniDSP is a core component in driving the speakers I’ve noted this in the “beyond-econowave” posts:
For a long time the miniDSP was sitting bolted to a lump of wood, the “temporary” test chassis, with a cardboard box sitting on top of it to cover it. But this test chassis was quite noisy.
I’ve made a simple pine enclosure that makes up in solidity what it lacks in sophistication. It still containes the miniDSP and 2 simple OPA2134 based pre-amps to give me a bit of gain over the quiet miniDSP output, but I’ve got a 4 channel stepped attenuator (actually two stereo stepped attenuators ganged together) as a master volume, plus the software volume control as a fine volume pot.
There’s also a switch to switch over to the analogue input for “guest devices” .e.g. mates dropping over with DJ mixers or synths – so the sockets are on the front for easy access.
Made with bits of pine from the local hardware warehouse, and painted with leftover stain/varnish from my big speakers so it matches.