This system was started off cobbling together assorted spare parts that were in the garage gathering dust, to create a small battery powered (and partially solar) system that can fit in the boot of the car and be moved on a small trolley. But of course then I added some extra bits as well to get it how I liked it, so it’s not really assembled from “junk” any more, but it is all inexpensive low power use.
Some nice electronic ambient from Canadian Artist Loscil.
I got the FLAC release from Boomkat.
Well it’s nearly 10 years old but better late than never!
Been very much enjoying this gloomy Melbourne doom/blues/alterna outing from T.K. Bollinger and That Sinking Feeling – I ordered a prerelease copy via the bands Facebook page, and went for the deluxe version with the lovely hardback book.
Reminiscent of Nick Cave (without the deep register vocals) and Wreckery, the jagged, sparse instrumentation really hits the spot, with some genuinely catchy (albeit gloomy) songs that really stick in the brain like a gloomladen ear worm.
web link: http://tkbollinger.com/product/catalogue-woe-album/
With the woofer enclosures now looking pretty good it was time to tidy up how the compression driver is supported, and tidy away the LPAD and protection circuitry.
I got some small pine boxes of the right size (from ETSY seller HIPROGRESS. I stained this the same colour as the speaker boxes, and got some self adhesive 4.5mm neoprene sheet from Clark Rubber to act as vibration damping, and protect the finish. This acts as a nice firm bed for the compression driver.
Both before and after I went overseas I’ve been experimenting with the most excellent Active Crossover Designer spreadsheets by Charlie Laub, with a lot of input and information from the Stereo.net.Au forum users, especially henry218. It’s a lot of fun to upload some measurements and get some crossover configs and ideas from helpful people and find they work! Later I’ve gotten to grips myself with cutting and pasting miniDSP biquad settings. There is quite a bit of info posted in the relevant thread, but this remains a work in progress while I improve the measurements needed to get the best results.
Also I’m quite curious to see the improved ACD that Charli Laub has in development that will include heatmap graph capability for evaluating directivity.
It took me a while to get to adding some finish to the speakers, but I finally did using some “Cabots Satin Jarrah Water Based Stain and Varnish“.
At long last the enclosures for the Lorantz 15″ woofers are (mostly) done:
Big thanks to Col for helping with the build – his expertise gleaned from the multitude of enclosures he has created was a big help in streamlining the assembly process.
After a very long delay I’ve finally gotten around to working on better cabinets for the Lorantz woofers that will unleash their full potential. Having adequate enclosures so I could be lazy and use the speakers as is no doubt contributed to the delay, but also some non audio related stuff got in the way as well, as happens.
boards assembled to check but not glued yet