I’m just documenting this here for reference, and perhaps others find this useful.
- MIXXX is my preferred DJ software, it works well with the Numark Mixtrack Pro interface
- One reason to go the digital DJ route is to maximise sound quality, this means FLAC files where possible, CD rips or purchased as wav from beatport, bleep.com or bandcamp.. and 320k mp3 when FLAC files are simply not available..
- But I found the MIXXX 2.0 series (or earlier) had issues decoding some valid flac files purchased from bandcamp.com, causing sound to abruptly cut out, while MIXXX appears to continue playing
- after discussing with the incredibly helpful MIXXX developers they pointed me to the MIXXX 2.1 alpha source code available on github, which uses a new audio decoding engine.
- This fixed all my issues and has proven to be very stable. The effects I have found not that great, but I don’t use them much, sticking to relatively straight forward mixing.
So here are the steps….